arts community events performances music theater books

Granfalloon Festival to return to Bloomington June 1-5

entgranfalloon052422.jpg

Granfalloon Festival is back for the first time since the COVID-19 pandemic. Presented annually by IU Arts and Humanities Council, Granfalloon will be held June 1-5 at various locations around campus and downtown Bloomington. 

This year, Granfalloon will be presented concurrently with the Indiana University Writers Conference and the Bloomington Handmade Market. The festival offers creative experiences from art and theater to film, live music, crafts, writing, and more.

Granfalloon got its name from Hoosier and author Kurt Vonnegut novel “Cat’s Cradle.” A Granfalloon refers to a group of people brought together for seemingly arbitrary reasons but whose sense of belonging and community is nevertheless very real, according to the Granfalloon website.  

The festival will kick off on June 1 with the IU Writers Conference at 7:30 p.m. at the Monroe County Public Library. There will be a reading and panel discussion featuring recent honorees of the Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana Authors Awards: Lindsey Alexander, Maurice Broaddus, Eugene Gloria and Kevin McKelvey. 

Granfalloon will feature three keynote writers. On June 2, Ashley C. Ford will read her book, “Somebody’s Daughter,”  at 7 p.m. at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater and Michael Martone will read at 8:30 p.m. at the Orbit Room. Michelle Zauner will read her book, “Crying in H-Mart,” at 12 p.m. June 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. 

The IU Writers Conference will be held from June 2-5 at Gayle Karch Cook Center for Public Arts & Humanities. In its 82nd year, the conference invites writers of fiction, poetry and nonfiction to teach workshops and classes. A full conference schedule is available on the IU Writers Conference website

There will be two theatrical performances at 7 p.m. June 3 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. 

“More Perfect Places” is an investigative theater project inspired by the 19th century utopian history of the Indiana town New Harmony. 

“IN. Character” is adapted for the stage as Indiana native Michael Martone shares fiction that examines the people of Indiana grappling with questions of identity and place.

On June 3, the Bluebird Nightclub, the Bishop Bar and the Orbit Room will conduct Clubfest where bands and artists will perform at each of their respective venues. Entry to the Bishop Bar and the Bluebird Nightclub is ticketed while the Orbit room event is free.

Bloomington Handmade Market, an indie craft show festival, will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 4. Located on Kirkwood Avenue between Lincoln Street and Indiana Street, the festival will feature independent makers from across the Midwest.

There will also be the Fix-it Fair from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 4 at Monroe Country Public Library. Attendees are invited to bring one item for repair, free of charge and provided by local professionals. 

Granfalloon will present their mainstage concert starting at 5 p.m. on June 4 on block 200 of Kirkwood Avenue. Car Seat Headrest, Japanese Breakfast and NNAMDÏ will all perform. VIP and pit tickets are currently sold out, but the concert is still free and open to the public.

The full event schedule, tickets and more information is available on the Granfalloon website.