crime & courts bloomington

Bloomington police arrest Kalao Nightclub shooting suspect Monday

Crime Filler

Police arrested a 27-year-old Bloomington resident Monday in connection with the shooting at Kalao Nightclub on April 23.

Investigators from the Bloomington Police Department used video surveillance footage from inside the nightclub to identify the shooter as Keiantrea Washington, according to a BPD press release.

Video surveillance shows Washington and one of the victims having an altercation just before Washington produced a handgun and fired multiple times into the crowded nightclub, hitting the 41-year-old man and two others. According to a BPD press release, all three victims were transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital for treatment.

An arrest warrant for Washington was issued April 25 for multiple felony charges related to the shooting. 

Detectives then began surveilling several locations around Monroe County to locate Washington.

On Monday, detectives determined Washington was inside a residence on South Magnolia Court. The Critical Incident Response Team was involved in Washington’s arrest due to the seriousness of the crimes committed and concerns that Washington may be armed.

After speaking with investigators, Washington was transported to the Monroe County Jail and faces one count of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated battery and one count of criminal recklessness — all felonies.