crime & courts bloomington

Four men wounded in two shootings Saturday morning

Crime Filler

Bloomington Police Department officers responded to the Kalao Nightclub at 1:10 a.m. on Saturday in response to a shooting, according to a press release from BPD. 

When officers arrived at the nightclub, they determined multiple shots had been fired inside the bar and located three victims with gunshot wounds in the street outside of the club.

The victims, a 26-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his pelvis, a 41-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his upper thigh and a 22-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his thigh, had been shot in the lower-level rear bar area of the nightclub and fled outside. 

Officers provided emergency medical care until IU Health LifeLine ambulances arrived on scene. All three victims were transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital for treatment. According to the release, both the 41-year-old victim and the 26-year-old victim are currently hospitalized and in stable condition. The 22-year-old victim was treated and released from the hospital.

While officers were investigating the shooting at Kalao, the Central Emergency Dispatch received another call of a man shot in a parking lot near the intersection of Sixth Street and Lincoln Street at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday.

Officers responded to the area and found a 26-year-old man with a gunshot wound to his abdomen in the front passenger seat of a vehicle.

The victim was transported by ambulance to IU Health Bloomington Hospital. Once he arrived at the hospital, he was rushed to emergency surgery. He is currently hospitalized and is in critical condition.

Officers believed this shooting occurred near the alleyway that runs East and West between Kirkwood Avenue and Sixth Street, according to the release. 

Investigators continued to follow-up with both shooting investigations on Saturday afternoon and were able to view video surveillance from inside the Kalao Nightclub.

The video showed the suspect and the 41-year-old victim in an altercation just before the shooting occured. The suspect can then be seen producing a handgun and firing multiple times in the crowded bar area. The suspect then ran out of the nightclub and fled the area before officers arrived.

As of Saturday evening, officers believe there was only one shooter inside the nightclub.

Little has been learned about the shooting near the intersection of Sixth Street and Lincoln Street. Investigators are attempting to review surveillance footage from nearby cameras and are continuing to search for witnesses.

BPD does not know if the two shootings were connected or if they were separate events and no arrests have been made in either investigation. They are asking anyone with information about the shooting at Kalao to contact Detective Jeff Rodgers at 812-349-3318 and anyone with information about the second shooting to contact Detective Jon Muscato at 812-349-3325.