arts music

Rock bands took the stage at Blockhouse Bar on April 14

entsyzygyblockhouse041522.jpg

Rock bands SYZYGY, ForeDaze and Reality Something performed at Blockhouse Bar on April 14. 

The bar was full of fast strumming and drumming with a supportive community as SYZYGY started the night.

Lead vocalist Lu Harper started the band in August 2021, but the full band officially formed about a week ago as they met drummer Cory Schmitt through Music Industry Creatives on campus. 

“I've wanted to be in a band since I was 5 years old,” Harper said. “I’m finally in a place where there’s a lot of people and I can probably find people who also want to be in a band.”

Harper voiced a Destroy Boys member as they covered “I Threw Glass at My Friends’ Eyes and Now I’m on Probation” from the band’s album “Sorry, Mom.”

Bassist Caden Hamscher bounced with the beat as the band played an unreleased original, “Pissing and Shitting,” and none of the members held back. 

Hamscher said it’s fun to create art and know that you’re the one making people have a good time. 

SYZYGY also performed covers of “I Love You So” by The Walters and “Take Me Away” by Christina Vidal, also featured in the movie “Freaky Friday.” The band also played its latest single, “Cake Emoji,” a song Harper wrote about her ex sending her a cake emoji on her birthday. 

“I like using it as an outlet and taking complicated emotions that I don't know what to do with and just turning them into a song that I can have fun with,” Harper said.

Harper sang with her chin up as Max Senter, guitarist and backup vocalist, shredded on guitar. 

ForeDaze, an alternative indie band, played mostly original songs and a few covers with three guitarists and a drummer for the second time in Blockhouse Bar.

Carsen Outwater, ForeDaze drummer, who mixes the band’s music, said out of the three bars they’ve performed in, Blockhouse Bar’s atmosphere was the best. All of the band members agreed the vibes at Blockhouse Bar are unmatched.  

ForeDaze said they might release an EP by the end of the summer. Along with their original songs, ForeDaze covered bands like Radiohead and Nirvana. Marty Abaddi, lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist, put down her guitar to perform “Breed” by Nirvana. 

After two years of not touring due to COVID-19, Reality Something, a rock band from Nashville, Tennessee, decided to book weekend gigs. 

The band rocked the stage as each member moved around and Elena Franklin, lead vocalist and guitarist for Reality Something, elevated to her toes as she sang into the mic. 

“I've always wanted to play at Blockhouse,” Franklin said. “I love it.”