Race Thomspon announces return to Indiana men’s basketball for 2022-23 season

spiubbthompson041422.jpg

Senior forward Race Thompson will return to Indiana men’s basketball for the 2022-23 season, his final year of eligibility, he announced Thursday afternoon on Twitter. Thompson has already been with Indiana for five seasons, but he still holds an extra year of eligibility because the NCAA granted athletes an extra year due to COVID-19. He redshirted for the 2017-18 season.

“I trust Coach Woodson and his plan for me to develop into the best player I can be to take my game to another level," Thompson said Thursday in a release from IU Athletics.

Thompson served as an important role player for the Hoosiers last season, the first time they’ve made the NCAA Tournament since 2016. He finished third in points per game at 11.1, and second in rebounds, steals and blocks per game at 7.5, 1.1 and 0.7, respectively.

Thompson’s return is crucial for Indiana’s front court, which lost senior center Michael Durr to the transfer portal and may lose junior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis to the NBA Draft. Jackson-Davis, a second-team All-Big Ten selection who led Indiana in scoring, rebounds and blocks last season, declared for the draft April 9 but maintained his college eligibility, meaning he could return to Indiana.

In addition to his talents, Thompson brought a stable and reliable piece to Indiana’s team last season. He was one of just three players to suit up in all 35 of the team’s games last season. He, along with second-year head coach Mike Woodson and the rest of the team, will look to build on Indiana’s 21-14 record and NCAA Tournament appearance in Woodson’s first year.