Local organization Autism Rocks and Rolls holds autism awareness gala

spautismgala041722.jpg

Autism Rocks and Rolls, a local nonprofit dedicated to autism advocacy and awareness, organized a gala and fundraiser Saturday at the AMVETS (American Veterans) Post 2000 in Bloomington. 

Sam Mitchell, an Ivy Tech freshman, and Gina Mitchell, president of Autism Rocks and Rolls and Sam’s mother, planned the event. Sam, who is autistic, is the creator of Autism Rocks and Rolls, which began as a podcast in October 2019. 

The theme for the gala was “Success for All and How We Get There?”  Keynote speakers included Sam Mitchell and Dr. Temple Grandin, autism advocate and professor of animal science at Colorado State University. 

Attendees checked out booths from autism and disability support organizations such as Unlocking The Spectrum and HANDS in Autism. Food trucks including Social Cantina and SmokeWorks were available in the parking lot, and pastries catered from Starbucks sat on tables inside. There was also a silent auction, with items such as a Starbucks gift basket and tickets to Holiday World. 

The gala was hosted in observance of Autism Acceptance Month, held annually in April. Gina Mitchell said the nonprofit’s main mission is to destigmatize autism and eliminate stereotypes. 

“Our goal is to, in any way, shape or form, help one family who is struggling right now and doesn’t know what to do or where to turn,” Gina Mitchell said.

Gina Mitchell estimated about 300 people attended the gala. She said she expected that large turnout. People are enthusiastic to support because the organization is for such a good cause, she said. 

“It’s a change in the game of how people look at disabilities and how people are redefining what people can do,” Gina Mitchell said.

The gala began with time to bid at the auction and mingle with guests. DJ Justin Brown provided music. Brown, who is neurodivergent, said music has always been his passion. His mother, Denise Brown, said the two of them wanted to help their community by attending the event. 

“Individuals who have a different ability can do different things,” Denise Brown said. 

Kicking off the main events of the evening, Bloomington organization LIFEDesign’s All-Abilities Choir performed “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” and “That’s What Friends Are For.” Gina Mitchell spoke next, thanking the sponsors of the event and expressing her gratitude for the support. 

Sam Mitchell then took the stage, discussing his own experiences with autism and the misconceptions society holds about people with disabilities. He said he wishes people could understand the courage seemingly small steps take, because taking those steps can feel like facing the biggest step of your life. 

“The myth that society leaves is slowly dying, because I see it every day, where these people who are being labeled ‘underdogs’ are becoming the top dogs,” Sam Mitchell said. 

In keeping with the event’s theme of success, Sam Mitchell said society pushes limited definitions of what it means to be successful, like getting a traditional career and having a family. Those options, he said, should be choices, not requirements. 

“The society we live in wants us to love and be happy, and I’m doing both,” he said. “So how could I honestly not be successful?” 

Dr. Temple Grandin, autism advocate and professor of animal science at Colorado State University, was the night’s other notable keynote speaker. Gina Mitchell said Grandin has been a mentor of Sam’s. 

Zooming in from her home in Colorado, Grandin shared information about her work in the autism field and recounted her upbringing and experiences as an autistic person. She took questions from the audience, giving advice about parenting children with autism. It is necessary to celebrate the things a person with autism is naturally inclined toward, not solely what they might struggle with, she said. 

“It’s really important to work on holding up the things a person is good at and expanding,” Grandin said. 

Steve Jascewsky, co-president of the Autism Rocks and Rolls Board of Directors, said he thought the response to the gala was amazing, especially since it was the first major event for a relatively new organization.

“It’s just inspirational, really,” Jascewsky said. “It shows how many people are touched by the spectrum and people who love those people.”