Jacobs school releases internal statement after IDS investigation, offensive flyer defacement

castatement040122_1.jpg

Editor's note: This story includes mention of sexual violence. 

Jacobs School of Music faculty released an internal statement Friday afternoon after protest flyers concerning sexual assault were defaced with offensive language toward the Asian community along with other disparaging messages and actions. 

The flyers are advertising a protest Saturday evening, where students and community members are speaking out against the university's response to music student Chris Parker's sexual assault case. Many of those flyers placed around campus have been torn down and ripped up, according to social media posts.

castatement040122_3.jpg
A flyer is seen defaced with the message “Save an American, screw an Asian” this week in a Jacobs School of Music building. Flyers for the Saturday protest have also been found torn up around campus. Courtesy Photo

Related: ['We need to change the culture': Music community plans Saturday protest to condemn sexual violence]

The written messages found on flyers in a Jacobs building included "Save an American, screw an Asian" and "No one cares." In an email obtained by the Indiana Daily Student, the school is aware of the offensive messaging and "what appears to be support for sexual violence."

"We as a school– faculty, staff, and students– owe it to each other to reject any message that purports to support sexual violence and to reaffirm our support and respect for everyone in our community," the email to Jacobs students and faculty read. 

Related: [Dissonance in due process]

castatement040122_2.jpg
A protest flyer is seen defaced with the message "No one cares" this week in a Jacobs School of Music building. Flyers have also been torn up and vandalized with hateful writing toward the Asian community. Courtesy Photo

The email, written by three members of Jacobs faculty, said they encouraged students who want to make their voices heard to attend the Saturday protest. 

In this statement, they said they condemn sexual violence and misconduct of all kind and ask students to report any such cases to Confidential Victim Advocates or the police. 

All students have a right to be in an environment free of fear or threats of violence, the email said. The IU Bias Incident Reporting link was also shared.

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.