student life

IU to celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Asian Culture Center

IU is celebrating Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month with in-person events throughout April for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic.

Traditionally observed in May, Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month at IU is celebrated in April so students and staff can experience the month while still on campus. The month is dedicated to honoring Asian American history and the contributions of people of Asian descent. 

This year, the theme for the month is “Renew and Rebuild: Our Communities and Beyond.” IU junior Audrey Lee, who helped create the programming, said in a news release the theme was chosen to respond to prejudice directed at Asian American and Pacific Islanders during the pandemic. 

“There was a huge shift in which AAPI issues our community cared about, and we wanted to address how we can best continue our activism during the pandemic,” Lee said in the release. 

Related: [The African American and African Diaspora Studies department celebrates 51-year anniversary]

The Asian Culture Center will hold a short film festival featuring projects created by Asian filmmakers on April 7 at Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Directors of the films will be at the event to answer questions following the screening, according to the event description

Those interested in attending events can visit the calendar on the Asian Culture Center’s website for a full list of events and information.