arts performances theater

IU Theatre to present Broadway production ‘Carrie: The Musical’ April 13-16

entcarrie041122.jpg

IU Department of Theatre, Drama, and Contemporary Dance will present “Carrie: The Musical” at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre. The shows will be April 13-16 at 7:30 p.m, with a 2 p.m. showing on the last day of the musical’s run.

“Carrie: The Musical” follows a teenage girl, Carrie White, who discovers she has telekinetic powers. Viciously bullied as an outcast at school and repressed by her ultra-religious mother at home, Carrie makes the effort to fit in. After her attempts backfire, she unleashes chaos at the high school prom. 

IU graduate student and the dramaturg for the production Lexi Silva said despite the evolution of Carrie’s tragic tale on stage, the narrative surrounds the question of how we approach what we do not understand. 

“‘Carrie: The Musical’ is a musical stage adaptation of an iconic horror franchise that is equal parts camp and an earnest message about how we treat others, especially those we struggle to relate to or understand,” Silva said. “IU students will both appreciate the fun of the show and potentially feel prompted to reflect on how the story resonates with their own high school experiences.”

The musical is based on author Stephen King’s best-selling gothic horror novel “Carrie” from 1974.

Related: [BDMC Presents festival to showcase different music genres at Dunn Meadow on April 15]

Borrowing elements from both the novel and the 1976 film of the same title, “Carrie: The Musical” features music by Academy Award winner Michael Gore and lyrics by Academy Award winner Dean Pitchford. The soundtrack includes musical hits such as “And Eve Was Weak” and “A Night We’ll Never Forget.”

The Broadway musical debuted in 1988 at the Virginia Theater. The production closed after 16 previews and five full performances, proving to be a historic flop. However, since the 2012 revival, Silva said “Carrie: The Musical” has evolved into a cultural phenomenon in its own right, even being featured on the popular television series “Riverdale” in a theatrical episode that capitalizes on camp.  

“For enthusiastic fans of the novel and film versions of ‘Carrie,’ come with an open mind and prepare to laugh, cry and wonder, ‘Now, how did they do that on stage?’” Silva said. 

IU’s production of “Carrie: The Musical” includes musical direction by musical theater Professor Ray Fellman. Assistant Professor of musical theater Lauren Haughton Gillis is the director and choreographer of the production. 

This musical portrays sensitive subject matter including domestic abuse, bullying and murder. Tickets are $10 for students, while general admission tickets are $20.