arts community events music

BDMC Presents festival to showcase different music genres at Dunn Meadow on April 15

entbdmc041022.jpg

Bloomington Delta Music Club is pairing with the Indiana Memorial Union Board to host BDMC Presents, a free music festival, from 4-10 p.m on April 15 in Dunn Meadow.

The club is organized into different genres with musical directors that provide workshops and direct jams, practices and performances. Each genre will perform for 20-30 minutes in back-to-back sets.

The different groups will perform acoustic, blues and funk rock, R&B hip hop, alternative contemporary, jazz and a fusion of alternative punk and acoustic, called “unpunked.” There will also be a Grateful Dead cover set called Grateful Delta. 

Open Notes, an inclusive group in BDMC, will also perform a set. The group is a space for non-male-identifying members to perform together. 

Dominick Heyob, IU sophomore and one of the co-presidents of the club, said there will be a few solo acts. Seniors in the club are also given the opportunity to perform with their friends. 

Related: [Annual runway show will feature creative mini-collections from fashion design students]

There will be a bracelet-making stand and a bring-your-own-shirt tie-dye station. Lawn games and other outdoor activities will also be available at the event. 

Heyob called BDMC “the casual club for the casual musician.”

The club offers jam sessions varied by genres, professional performance opportunities and educational workshops over a diverse range of subjects. The jazz section has played during intermission of a TedX conference held at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

“The club offers a lot of chances to play, to learn, and to know what it's like to be a musician,” Heyob said.

BDMC began in 2019, and this is the second annual BDMC Presents festival.  

“BDMC Presents is what the club is all about,” Heyob said. “It demonstrates what we do, who we are, what we’re capable of and how inclusive we are with the university and whoever wants to join.”