sports golf

Indiana women’s golf star Aine Donegan qualifies for NCAA Ann Arbor Regional

spiuwgbrief042722.jpg

Indiana women’s golf star freshman Aine Donegan earned a bid for an individual spot in the NCAA Regionals. She has been placed in the Ann Arbor Regional.

Donegan’s bid stems from a highly successful freshman season. She set the Indiana freshman and single-season record in strokes average with 72.92, had four top-10 individual finishes and won the Courtney Cole Invitational in October 2021.

Donegan is just the fourth Hoosier in program history to qualify for the NCAA Regionals. She joins the company of Erin Harper (2018), Debbie Lee (1989) and Tracy Chapman (1988).

Additionally, Donegan was named second-team All-Big Ten early Wednesday. She shared the Big Ten Co-Women’s Golfer of the Week award with Nebraska sophomore Michaela Vavrova on Oct. 6.

Throughout the nine events Indiana played this season, Donegan played in all 26 rounds. She led the team in scoring at the conclusion of each event.

Donegan will compete against Eastern Kentucky University senior Ragnhildur Kristinsdottir, Creighton University freshman Katherine Lemke, Northern Illinois University sophomore Jasmine Ly, Old Dominion University senior Jana Melichova and University of Notre Dame sophomore Chloe Schiavone.

The Ann Arbor Regional will consist of a 54-hole tournament from May 9 to 11. Only the top two scoring individuals will advance to the NCAA Championships from May 20 to 25.