Bloomington Transit, IU Campus Bus Services no longer requiring masks

<p>A woman boards a bus Feb. 22, 2021, at the Bloomington Transit Center. Masks will no longer be federally mandated on public transportation and in public transportation hubs.</p>

A woman boards a bus Feb. 22, 2021, at the Bloomington Transit Center. Masks will no longer be federally mandated on public transportation and in public transportation hubs.

Effective immediately, masks will no longer be federally mandated on public transportation and in public transportation hubs across the country, according to a press release from Bloomington Transit. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had issued the order to mandate masks on public transportation in January 2021 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The U.S. District Court struck down the order on Monday after the court ruled the CDC had exceeded its authority. 

In response to this ruling and the guidance of the Transportation Security Administration, Bloomington Transit has lifted the federal transportation mask mandate, according to the release. 

Masks will no longer be required on the IU Campus Bus system as well, IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said. 

The CDC still recommends the use of masks on public transportation.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.