Black Voices

Black Voices: Why is Blac Chyna suing the Kardashians?

bvblacchynak042622.jpg

Nearly five years ago, Blac Chyna filed a lawsuit against the Kardashian family. Her case is finally headed to trial on April 18th.

The Kardashians are facing court this month to determine whether their family intentionally tried to ruin Chyna's career.

In 2016, Chyna and Robert Kardashian Jr. began a romantic relationship.

A couple of months after the couple broke up, Chyna filed a defamation suit against the Kardashians.

Chyna is alleging the family defamed and conspired to ruin her career by having the television show "Rob & Chyna" canceled. She is seeking $100 million in damages over the television show, which ran for one season in 2016.

Chyna is also suing Rob for allegedly leaking her nude photo. This allegation will be addressed in a separate trial.

In the opening arguments of the trial against the Kardashian family, the prosecution argued Kris Jenner falsely accused Chyna of assaulting Rob to prevent Chyna's show from progressing.

“Kris Jenner set out to have ‘Rob & Chyna’ canceled,” Chyna’s lawyer, Lynne Ciani, told the jury, according to the Associated Press. “She brought in her three daughters to help accomplish that.”

Ciani claimed Kris Jenner told the producers of “Rob & Chyna” that Chyna beat Rob with a pole and strangled him with the cord of a phone charger leaving severe marks on his neck. 

However, Chyna’s attorney contended she did not significantly harm Rob, citing unaired footage from the series.

On Dec. 4, 2016, Chyna and Rob Kardashian celebrated the renewal of their show for a second season. Both sides confirmed they got into an argument that resulted in the end of their relationship.

Chyna last testified Wednesday that she wrapped a cord around her then-fiancé's neck that night and pointed an unloaded gun at him. The day after, she alleged that Rob jealously swiped her phone, which led her to smash a gingerbread house and a TV and move out of their home. But she contends she never hit him, nor did she do anything beyond damaging property.

In opening statements, the Kardashian and Jenners’ defense attorney, Michael Rhodes, said Chyna was willing to do anything to enhance her celebrity status.

“The evidence is going to show you that Miss White would say or do anything to be part of this family,” Rhodes said.

In court on Wednesday, Rhodes continued his argument that the alleged assault led to the couple’s breakup, and that’s why producers canceled the show.

“There is no ‘Rob & Chyna’ show if there is no Rob and Chyna,” Rhodes said.

This past week, the Kardashians requested the judge dismiss the ongoing case and Chyna’s claims stating the trial was absurd and a waste of time.