national

President Biden nominates former IUPUI Chancellor for education department role

canomination032022.jpg

President Joe Biden will nominate Nasser Paydar, former chancellor of IU-Purdue University Indianapolis, as the Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education, the White House announced in a statement Friday.

Paydar will require confirmation from the United States Senate. The Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education is a leader in the United States Department of Education. 

“I have no doubt Dr. Paydar will be an asset to the department and hope for his swift confirmation so he can join us in this critical work,” U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said in a statement.

Paydar, who completed his term as IUPUI chancellor on March 1, 2022, served as IUPUI’s fifth chancellor and was an IU faculty member for more than 30 years, according to an IUPUI news release.

Related: [O’Neill School instructor and student to run National Security Simulation]

According to an article from the Washington Post, nominees must pass through several steps between Biden’s announcement and confirmation, including a formal nomination, referral to at least one Senate committee, a committee hearing and a vote on the Senate floor.

According to the article, presidents must fill around 4,000 appointed positions in the executive branch and independent agencies, such as Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education. This number includes more than 1,200 positions that require Senate confirmation. 

Under his leadership at IUPUI, the university expanded its footprint in downtown Indianapolis, increased campus housing and residential programs, and enhanced student life opportunities, according to the release.

Additionally, Paydar’s leadership during his time at IUPUI, IU-Purdue University Columbus and IU East Richmond emphasized creating more welcoming, diverse and inclusive campuses, according to the release. He also encouraged his colleagues’ creative efforts to improve the institution through long-term, campus-wide projects, such as the Welcoming Campus Initiative.