Black Voices

Black Voices: Brighter days are coming soon

bvgriefstory030122-illo

I have been waking up to the same gloomy day recently. The clouds hang above me, never leaving me alone. Hanging over me like a reminder of grief.

Grief had come to accompany me almost every day like he was my best friend. I sometimes hate the way grief makes me feel, but I can’t seem to ask him to go away. I became accustomed to his presence. 

I tried my best to find something else to take grief’s place but nothing seemed to work. Grief would always be there waiting for me to come back. However, in the back of my mind, I knew I had to sever all ties with him. 

It was time to create a plan. 

The plan involved visiting the Oracle. Oracle was known for her amazing guidance. She helps those who seek her find answers to their problems and troubles. Everyone who visited her appeared to get better with each visit. I had to find a way to hide from grief so I could make my way to the Oracle. 

I went to sleep that night hoping tomorrow wouldn’t be gloomy so the clouds can’t signal grief to come to visit me.

When I opened my eyes and looked at the sky I saw the clouds were still there. So I rushed to make sure I saw the Oracle before grief arrived. 

I arrived at the Oracle’s doorstep and just as I was about to knock she opened the door. 

“I was expecting you,” Oracle said. 

My eyes widened in shock. She grabbed my hand leading me to her office. 

I sat down in front of her and explained the trouble I’ve been having with grief and the clouds that hung over me. Oracle looked at me like she was in deep thought. 

“You have to accept there will be some cloudy days,”  she said. “You have to take it one day at a time. Be patient and the light will come. Now as for grief who keeps lingering around, you have to ask him to leave. Grief will stay around as long as you let him.”

I took in everything. I went home that night with a lot on my mind. I couldn’t sleep so I did something I haven’t done in a while. I meditated. I thought about all the good things I would like to happen in my life. I was finally able to close my eyes and sleep. 

I woke up but nothing changed.  I remembered the words of the Oracle. “Be patient.” 

I felt grief creeping up on me as my day ended. A surge of strength came over me, I gathered the courage to tell him to leave. I was no longer attached to grief. I broke the bond.

I went to sleep peacefully after the events of the day. When I woke up the next morning it felt like I was in a different world. 

I felt different. 

The sun was shining bright. It made my deep dark skin glow. It looked like I had millions of shimmering stars on my face. My coily thick hair was reaching to the sky. The warmth from the sun gave me comfort. 

I haven’t felt like this in a long time. I took this new day as a sign. 

A sign that brighter days will be arriving soon.