sports golf

Indiana men’s golf senior Mitch Davis named as Big Ten Golfer of the Week

spiumgdavis021022.jpg

Senior Indiana golfer Mitch Davis was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week, the conference announced Thursday morning. It is the first time Davis has been awarded the honor in his career.

Davis was a main reason Indiana won last weekend’s Big Ten Match Play Championship for the second year running, as he was the only Hoosier to win all three of his matches in the tournament. 

Davis defeated Lou Olsakovsky of Penn State, Cole Bradley of Purdue, and Ashton McCulloch of Michigan State. Davis sunk the winning putt at the 18th hole to give Indiana the title, bringing in its third since the event’s inauguration in 2009.

This is the third time an Indiana golfer has won the Big Ten Golfer of the Week this season. The honor is awarded weekly, and sophomore Drew Salyers won it twice in the fall season on Sept. 8, 2021 and Sept. 22, 2021, respectively, after Indiana’s first two competitions of the season.

Related: [Indiana wrestling to face No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Ohio State this weekend]

Indiana becomes the second Big Ten school to have multiple players win the award this season alongside Michigan State. Indiana defeated Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship match on Feb. 5.

Indiana head coach Mike Mayer said he walked with Davis the entire tournament. Mayer said Davis made him incredibly proud, and Davis’ performance was the best Mayer had ever seen from him. 

“Mitch wanted constant updates, because he wanted to be in that position (to clinch the tournament),” Mayer said.

Davis and the rest of the Indiana men’s golf team will travel to the Bahamas this weekend for the Nexus Collegiate Monday through Wednesday at the Albany Championship Golf Course.