Indiana wrestling to face No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Ohio State this weekend

<p>Sophomore DJ Washington wrestles with Illinois sophomore DJ Shannon at the Big Ten Wrestling Championships on March 6, 2021, in State College, Pennsylvania. IU will face the University of Michigan at 7 p.m. Feb. 11 in Wilkinson Hall. </p>

Sophomore DJ Washington wrestles with Illinois sophomore DJ Shannon at the Big Ten Wrestling Championships on March 6, 2021, in State College, Pennsylvania. IU will face the University of Michigan at 7 p.m. Feb. 11 in Wilkinson Hall.

Indiana wrestling has two ranked Big Ten matches coming up after its 36-3 loss to Illinois matches coming up this weekend. Indiana will face off with No. 3 Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday at Wilkinson Hall. and will head to Columbus, Ohio, to take on No. 6 Ohio State at 1 p.m. Sunday. Indiana is 3-5 in dual meets this season and 1-5 in conference.

Michigan is off to a 9-1 start this season and is 5-1 in conference play. Michigan most recently defeated No. 8 Nebraska 20-13 last Friday.

Michigan’s squad has a ranked wrestler in every weight class, including No. 1 graduate student Nick Suriano in the 125-pound class. Suriano, a transfer from Rutgers, won the 2019 NCAA Championship for the 133-pound class and became the first NCAA champion in Rutgers program history.

Ohio State is 7-3 on the season and 3-3 in conference play. Ohio State most recently defeated No. 18 Rutgers 19-14 on Sunday. Ohio State will face No. 10 Minnesota 9 p.m. on Friday before wrapping its season up against Indiana.

Related: [Indiana men’s golf senior Mitch Davis named as Big Ten Golfer of the Week]

Ohio State has a ranked wrestler in every category except the 133-pound class. No. 2 junior Sammy Sasso is the highest ranked wrestler on the Buckeyes and will represent the program in the 149-pound class.

Indiana has three ranked wrestlers: No. 10 ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins in the 133-pound class, No. 32 junior Cayden Rooks in the 141-pound class and No. 17 junior DJ Washington in the 184-pound class. 

Indiana is expected to start sophomore Jacob Moran in the 125-pound class and junior Graham Rooks will represent the 149-pound class. 

Indiana sophomore Jonathan Kervin last wrestled for the Hoosiers in the 157-pound class and is expected to start instead of sophomore Derek Gilcher in the same weight class. Junior Kasper McIntosh will start in the 165-pound class and junior Nick South will represent the 174-pound class. 

Washington is expected to make his return in the 184-pound class after missing Illinois, but if he doesn’t return, senior Sean Grim is expected to start. Grim is 0-3 in dual matches this season.

Junior Nick Willham will wrestle in the 197-pound class and junior Jacob Bullock will round out the squad, representing Indiana in the heavyweight class.

Both meets will be broadcast on BTN+.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.