sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling to face No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Ohio State this weekend

spiuwrpreview021022.jpg

Indiana wrestling has two ranked Big Ten matches coming up after its 36-3 loss to Illinois matches coming up this weekend. Indiana will face off with No. 3 Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday at Wilkinson Hall. and will head to Columbus, Ohio, to take on No. 6 Ohio State at 1 p.m. Sunday. Indiana is 3-5 in dual meets this season and 1-5 in conference.

Michigan is off to a 9-1 start this season and is 5-1 in conference play. Michigan most recently defeated No. 8 Nebraska 20-13 last Friday.

Michigan’s squad has a ranked wrestler in every weight class, including No. 1 graduate student Nick Suriano in the 125-pound class. Suriano, a transfer from Rutgers, won the 2019 NCAA Championship for the 133-pound class and became the first NCAA champion in Rutgers program history.

Ohio State is 7-3 on the season and 3-3 in conference play. Ohio State most recently defeated No. 18 Rutgers 19-14 on Sunday. Ohio State will face No. 10 Minnesota 9 p.m. on Friday before wrapping its season up against Indiana.

Related: [Indiana men’s golf senior Mitch Davis named as Big Ten Golfer of the Week]

Ohio State has a ranked wrestler in every category except the 133-pound class. No. 2 junior Sammy Sasso is the highest ranked wrestler on the Buckeyes and will represent the program in the 149-pound class.

Indiana has three ranked wrestlers: No. 10 ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins in the 133-pound class, No. 32 junior Cayden Rooks in the 141-pound class and No. 17 junior DJ Washington in the 184-pound class. 

Indiana is expected to start sophomore Jacob Moran in the 125-pound class and junior Graham Rooks will represent the 149-pound class. 

Indiana sophomore Jonathan Kervin last wrestled for the Hoosiers in the 157-pound class and is expected to start instead of sophomore Derek Gilcher in the same weight class. Junior Kasper McIntosh will start in the 165-pound class and junior Nick South will represent the 174-pound class. 

Washington is expected to make his return in the 184-pound class after missing Illinois, but if he doesn’t return, senior Sean Grim is expected to start. Grim is 0-3 in dual matches this season.

Junior Nick Willham will wrestle in the 197-pound class and junior Jacob Bullock will round out the squad, representing Indiana in the heavyweight class.

Both meets will be broadcast on BTN+.