politics

U.S. Congressman R-Trey Hollingsworth will not seek reelection in 2022

catrey011222.jpg

U.S. Rep. Trey Hollingsworth, R-IN., will not be seeking reelection to Indiana’s ninth Congressional District in 2022 after serving three terms, according to an editorial he wrote to the IndyStar Wednesday. 

A strong supporter of term limits, Hollingsworth said he promised to limit himself to four two-year terms. Hollingsworth was first elected in 2016 to represent parts of central and southern Indiana.  

“I took a pledge to limit my own terms to four because of this very idea: to remind me to focus on the people and that serving the public wasn’t intended to be a career by our founders,” Hollingsworth said in the editorial.

Hollingsworth was among 35 Republicans who supported creating an independent commission to investigate the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. He said he hopes more people outside of politics will run for office and enact change, he said. 

Related: [IU faculty member announces candidacy for Indiana’s 9th congressional district]

“The problem of politicians using their office to catapult themselves to another office, to a Committee assignment, or to a high-paying lobbying job is the misaligned incentive that tears at the most fundamental promise of democracy: elected officials represent electorates,” Hollingsworth wrote.