arts community events

Trashion Refashion Runway Show accepting design submissions until Feb. 20

enttrashion012022.jpg

The 2022 Bloomington Trashion Refashion Runway Show, an annual event spotlighting fashion made out of materials destined for the landfill, is calling for design entries. Designers can submit up to three different designs. 

The submission deadline is Feb. 20. All submissions must be made using EasyChair, which can be found on the show’s website. Discardia, the Center for Sustainable Living’s project, produces the event. 

There are two categories of the show: trashion and refashion. Showrunners say that to be considered for the refashion track, the design must be constructed of 90% or more recycled materials. For the trashion track, 90% of materials used must be items that were not originally intended for fashion, garments or personal wear, such as drinking straws or newspapers. 

Trashion Refashion Runway Show co-producer Nicki Stewart Ingersoll has seen the show at a variety of levels. She has been in the audience, behind the scenes as a designer and on the runway as a model in the show. 

“What we’re doing is an anecdote to throwaway culture and fast fashion,” Stewart Ingersoll said. “The line of thinking more environmentally consciously and sustainably can certainly lead us to many more places than just the runway.”

Anyone is able to submit a design, regardless of skill level or experience. Stewart Ingersoll encourages people of all ages, body types and skill sets to participate in the fashion show. 

“We really do want everyone to be involved that wants to be involved,” Stewart Ingersoll said. “There is no mold you have to fit into.”

All applicants will receive notification on their application status by Feb. 28.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Stewart Ingersoll.