sports wrestling

Indiana wrestling set for first home meet against Michigan State

spiuwrpreview011422.jpg

Indiana wrestling will have its first home meet against Michigan State at 3:30 p.m. Monday at Wilkinson Hall. Fans are allowed to attend.

Indiana is 2-2 in dual meets this season and 0-2 against Big Ten with losses to No. 12 Rutgers and No. 2 Penn State earlier in January.

“I know the guys are really excited for the fans to watch them,” head coach Angel Escobedo said. “Some of our guys like Derek Gilcher and DJ Washington haven’t wrestled in front of fans in Bloomington before.”

Despite Michigan State’s 5-2 record, it is off to a similar start to Indiana, also currently at 0-2 in conference play. Michigan State lost to No. 7 Ohio State on Saturday. Michigan State will wrestle No. 16 Purdue on Saturday at 7 p.m. before its match against Indiana.

Michigan State’s squad has four ranked wrestlers with No. 11-ranked junior Rayvon Foley in the 133-pound class, No. 19-ranked freshman Chase Saldate in the 157-pound class, No. 29-ranked sophomore Layne Malczewski in the 184-pound class and No. 18-ranked junior Cameron Caffey in the 197-pound class. 

Indiana’s projected lineup has No. 33-ranked sophomore Jacob Moran in the 125-pound class. No. 18-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins will start in the 133-pound class, and he is currently undefeated with a 7-0 individual record.

No. 30-ranked junior Cayden Rooks will wrestle in the 141-pound class. Junior Graham Rooks will wrestle in the 149-pound class. Gilcher will wrestle in the 157-pound class.

Indiana sophomore Matt Ortiz and junior Nick South will be wrestling in the 174-pound and 165-pound classes, respectively. Both will make returns to the lineup from COVID-19 protocols. They both haven't competed since Dec. 11, 2021, in the Cleveland State Open.

“COVID has affected our program and we needed to make adjustments,” Escobedo said. “Some adjustments included moving Kasper McIntosh to the 165-pound class.”

McIntosh, a junior transfer from No. 14 Minnesota, moved from the 157-pound class due to COVID-19 related issues and the lack of depth in the 157-pound class.

Washington will wrestle in the 184-pound class for Indiana and junior Nick Willham will represent Indiana in the 197-pound class. 

Junior Jacob Bullock will wrestle in the heavyweight class for the Hoosiers to wrap up the event.

Indiana’s match against Michigan State on Monday will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network.