Indiana wrestling loses to No. 12 Rutgers 27-9 in season’s first conference competition

<p>Nick Willham defends a take down attempt from Nebraska&#x27;s Eric Schults at Wilkinson Hall, on Feb. 6, 2021. IU will travel to Penn State for their next meet on Jan. 9.</p>

Nick Willham defends a take down attempt from Nebraska's Eric Schults at Wilkinson Hall, on Feb. 6, 2021. IU will travel to Penn State for their next meet on Jan. 9.

Indiana wrestling lost its first conference match 27-9 to No. 12 Rutgers Friday night.

Indiana started the night with No. 25-ranked sophomore Jacob Moran, who lost to  No. 30 freshman Dylan Shawver in a 13-2 major decision in the 125-pound class that handed Rutgers an early 4-0 lead. Indiana bounced back with No. 19-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins, who extended his undefeated personal record to 6-0 against Devon Britton in the 133-pound class to make the score 4-3.

That was the closest the match score would be throughout the night, as Rutgers ran away with the remainder of the meet.

No. 26-ranked Cayden Rooks fell to No. 4 senior Sebastian Rivera in the 141-pound class,  extending Rutgers’ lead to 8-3. Indiana junior Graham Rooks lost to No. 19-ranked senior Mike Van Brill in a 7-2 decision for the 149-pound class, putting the lead to 11-3.

Indiana sophomore Derek Gilcher lost to freshman Robert Kanniard in the 157-pound class in  a 9-7 regular decision. Rutgers freshman Andrew Clark did not allow Indiana senior Sammy Cokeley to score a point in his 3-0 loss for the 165-pound class. With Rutgers leading 17-3, Indiana junior Sean Grim fell to No. 26-ranked sophomore Jackson Turley to put Rutgers at 22-3 going into the most-anticipated match of the night.

The 184-pound weight class featured a top-10 matchup between No. 8-ranked Indiana junior DJ Washington and No. 5-ranked Rutgers freshman John Poznanski. In a gritty battle, Poznanski handed Washington his first loss of the season with a 4-2 regular decision. Rutgers led the match score  25-3. 

Indiana junior Nick Willham fell to No. 7-ranked senior Greg Bulsak in a 9-1 major decision to score Rutgers’ final two points of the night.

Indiana finished the night with junior Jacob Bullock securing a 10-1 major decision victory against Rutgers sophomore Boone McDermott, allowing Indiana to score four more points and finish the night 29-7. 

Indiana nexts plays No. 2 Penn State  in University Park, Pennsylvania at 2 p.m. on Sunday. The match will be broadcasted on BTN+.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.