Indiana wrestling falls to No. 2 Penn State 29-11 in second Big Ten competition

<p>Then-junior Brock Hudkins stands for a headshot in the wrestling practice room in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU will face Michigan State University on Jan. 17 at Wilkinson Hall. </p>

Then-junior Brock Hudkins stands for a headshot in the wrestling practice room in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU will face Michigan State University on Jan. 17 at Wilkinson Hall.

Indiana wrestling lost its second conference match 29-11 to No. 2 Penn State on Sunday afternoon.

Indiana opened the meet with No. 25-ranked sophomore Jacob Moran competing against Penn State senior Drew Hildebrandt. Moran lost in a 6-2 major decision in the 125-pound class, which handed Penn State an early 3-0 lead. No. 19-ranked graduate student Brock Hudkins helped Indiana bounce back against sophomore Baylor Shunk in the 133-pound class to make the score 5-3. Hudkins extended his undefeated personal record to 7-0.

No. 26-ranked junior Cayden Rooks defeated junior Brandon Meredith in the 141-pound class in a 9-4 regular decision, extending Indiana’s lead to 8-3. Indiana junior Graham Rooks then lost to No. 20-ranked sophomore Beau Bartlett in a 6-4 decision for the 149-pound class, cutting Indiana’s lead to 8-6.

Indiana sophomore Derek Gilcher defeated junior Tony Negron in the 157-pound class in a 9-7 regular decision. In the 165-pound class, No. 24-ranked Penn State sophomore Creighton Edsall defeated Indiana senior Sammy Cokeley in a 11-3 major decision. 

Indiana led 11-10 up to that point, but Indiana junior Sean Grim’s attempt at an upset fell short against No. 1-ranked sophomore Carter Starocci, putting Penn State on top 16-11 just ahead of the most-anticipated match of the night.

Related: [Indiana wrestling loses to No. 12 Rutgers 27-9 in season’s first conference competition]

The 184-pound weight class featured another top-10 matchup between No. 8-ranked Indiana junior DJ Washington and No. 1-ranked Penn State sophomore Aaron Brooks. Brooks defeated Washington in a 13-4 major decision, extending Penn State’s lead 20-11. After starting the season with a personal 10-0 record, Washington has accumulated two consecutive losses. 

Indiana junior Nick Willham fell to No. 2-ranked junior Max Dean in a 6-0 major decision for the 197-pound weight class.

Indiana finished the night with junior Jacob Bullock losing to No. 4-ranked Penn State freshman Greg Kerkvliet for the heavyweight class. The result secured the win for Penn State with a final score of 29-11.

After a pair of losses on the road to open conference play, Indiana will have its first home meet of the season against Michigan State at 3 p.m. on Jan. 17. The match will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.