FC Cincinnati selects former Indiana men’s soccer goalkeeper Roman Celentano second in draft

<p>Then-sophomore goalkeeper Roman Celentano kicks the ball against Penn State in the Big Ten Men’s Soccer Tournament Championship on April 17, 2021. Celentano was drafted to FC Cincinnati in Major League Soccer. </p>

Then-sophomore goalkeeper Roman Celentano kicks the ball against Penn State in the Big Ten Men’s Soccer Tournament Championship on April 17, 2021. Celentano was drafted to FC Cincinnati in Major League Soccer.

FC Cincinnati selected former Indiana men’s soccer junior goalkeeper Roman Celentano with the second overall pick in the 2022 Major League Soccer Superdraft on Tuesday.

The star shot-stopper signed a Generation Adidas deal with MLS on Thursday, forgoing the rest of his Division I eligibility. Celentano’s salary will not count against Cincinnati’s annual budget with the Generation Adidas deal, an incentive given to eight players before the draft, according to a press release from the MLS. 

Related: [Roman wasn't built in a day: Sophomore keeper Celentano took the long route to IU men's soccer]

He’s the fourth Hoosier in five years to sign a Generation Adidas deal, joining Jack Maher, Griffin Dorsey and Mason Toye. 

Celentano, who earned back-to-back Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year honors in 2020 and 2021, posted a 15-6-1 record at Indiana last season. He’s the third player from Indiana’s 2021 roster to join MLS alongside defender Spencer Glass and forward Victor Bezerra, who signed deals with Sporting Kansas City and Chicago Fire FC, respectively.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.