Instant recap: Indiana football ends season with 44-7 loss to Purdue

spiufbliveupdates112721.jpg

The Old Oaken Bucket is headed back to West Lafayette, Indiana, following Indiana football’s 44-7 loss to Purdue on Saturday afternoon at Ross-Ade Stadium. The team finished its season with a 2-10 overall record and 0-9 Big Ten conference record, both of which are its worst marks since 2011.

The teams met for the first time since 2019 Saturday, as last season’s contest was canceled due to COVID-19 issues with both programs. Purdue has now won three of the last four meetings in the rivalry.

Sophomore quarterback Grant Gremel made his first career start for the Hoosiers in the loss to the rival Boilermakers Saturday. Gremel completed 18 of 30 passes for 147 yards, no touchdowns and one interception. 

Gremel, the first walk-on to start at quarterback for Indiana since 1995, was not the only walk-on to start for the team, as junior running back Davion Ervin-Poindexter joined him in the backfield. Ervin-Poindexter rushed for 48 yards on 8 carries. 

Indiana’s season will end without a postseason appearance for the first time since 2018, and for the third time under head coach Tom Allen. Allen is now 1-3 against Purdue as head coach. 

Indiana will open its 2022 season against Northwestern on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington.

Instant recap by Patrick Felts

FOURTH QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: Dylan Downing takes the ball 33 yards for a Purdue touchdown. Indiana 7, Purdue 43.

13:35: Gremel nearly throws an interception, but AJ Barner just barely pulls it in for a loss of two.

TOUCHDOWN: David Bell hauls in a pass over the middle for a touchdown. Indiana 7, Purdue 38.

THIRD QUARTER

TOUCHDOWN: O'Connell finds TJ Sheffield to further extend Purdue's lead. Indiana 7, Purdue 31.

10:05: King Doerue, aided by blockers, breaks free for a gain of 29 yards as Purdue breaks into Indiana territory.

12:36: Indiana's first offensive drive of the second half ends in a three-and-out as Gremel targets Hendershot behind the sticks again.

SECOND QUARTER

FIELD GOAL: A series of disasters on offense lead's to a field goal attempt. Charles Campbell's kick is NO GOOD. Indiana 7, Purdue 17.

00:15: On second down, Gremel throws on the run off of his back foot and the pass sails over AJ Barner, who had space.

00:44: A bad snap gets past Gremel, who downs in 21 yards behind Indiana's line of scrimmage.

02:08: Hendershot hugs the sideline, running through Purdue's defense after a reception to pickup a first down.

04:55: Peyton Hendershot runs into Luke Haggard on a third down play to end Indiana's drive.

06:48: Ervin-Poindexter storms through an opening in the middle of Purdue's defense for a gain of 18 yards.

FIELD GOAL: Purdue's offense stalls in Indiana's red zone and the Boilermakers opt for a field goal on fourth down. Indiana 7, Purdue 17.

08:24: TJ Sheffield hauls in a diving catch for 18 yards. O'Connell has just one incompletion in the first half so far.

12:28: Gremel can't avoid a sack on second down, then finds Peyton Hendershot behind the sticks for a second consecutive three-and-out.

TOUCHDOWN: Brushing off a near-interception, O'Connell finds Paul Piferi behind Indiana's zone for a touchdown. Indiana 7, Purdue 14.

12:48: Jaylin Williams looked to have a pick-six against O'Connell, but it's negated after Raheem Layne committed pass interference on the play.

14:49: Gremel takes a sack from Branson Deen on third down. Indiana goes three-and-out on offense to open the second quarter.

FIRST QUARTER

03:20: O'Connell strikes back, finding Milton Wright for 19 yards and then David Bell for 14 on back-to-back plays.

TOUCHDOWN: Donaven McCulley takes the ball up the middle for a touchdown. Indiana 7, Purdue 7.

03:43: Purdue commits two penalties, offsides and pass interference. Indiana opts for interference and moves to Purdue's two yard-line.

04:30: Gremel stays poised in Indiana's pocket, firing over the middle to Miles Marshall for a gain of 13 yards.

05:33: Davion Ervin-Poindexter forces a missed tackle before powering through Purdue's defense for four yards and a first down

07:40: Grant Gremel finds Ty Fryfogle over the middle, who keeps it through contact for 13 yards.

TOUCHDOWN: O'Connell recovers a fumble in Indiana's endzone for a touchdown. Indiana 0, Purdue 7

08:53: Jaylin Williams commits a pass interference penalty in the endzone.

10:20: Zander Horvath goes up the gut for a gain of seven yards, makes it to Indiana's six yard-line.

12:27: Purdue senior quarterback Aidan O'Connell has time to throw and finds Jackson Anthrop deep for 28 yards.

15:00: Kickoff goes out of the endzone. Purdue will start at its own 25.

KICKOFF: Indiana wins the toss and elects to defer. Purdue will receive to open the game

Live updates by Luke Christopher Norton