Bloomington Fire Department to conduct training through controlled burning of building

<p>The City of Bloomington Fire Department sits with its doors open Aug. 28, 2019, on East Fourth Street. The Bloomington Fire Department will conduct live fire training Tuesday through Friday beginning Nov 2, 2021, at a donated house located at 1213 High St.</p>

The City of Bloomington Fire Department sits with its doors open Aug. 28, 2019, on East Fourth Street. The Bloomington Fire Department will conduct live fire training Tuesday through Friday beginning Nov 2, 2021, at a donated house located at 1213 High St.

The Bloomington Fire Department will conduct training through a controlled live burn Tuesday through Friday this week, according to a press release from the City of Bloomington.

The live burn will be at 1213 S. High St., a house that was slated for demolition. The training will provide BFD firefighters the opportunity to practice firefighting techniques in a realistic and controlled environment, according to the release.

The live burn will be a particularly valuable training opportunity for recently hired firefighters, who will be afforded the opportunity to practice search and rescue techniques, hose operation and flame extinguishing, according to the release.

Bloomington was the first city in Indiana to earn the highest grade of Grade 1 for fire protection efforts from the Insurance Service Office, a subsidiary of the analytics firm Verisk Analytics, according to the release. There have been zero fire-caused fatalities in Bloomington in the past four years, according to the release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.