UPDATE: Bloomington High School South lockdown caused by student carrying airsoft pistol

Bloomington High School South is one of multiple schools in the Monroe County Community School Corporation.

A 14-year-old student carried an airsoft pistol closely resembling a firearm to Bloomington High School South Friday morning, Bloomington Police Department Captain Ryan Pedigo said.

The student was interviewed by police and released to the custody of his father, he said.

Pedigo said the student reportedly told another student he had brought a gun to school, who then reported the information to a school employee. A Monroe County Community School Corporation School Resource Officer then detained the student and found the airsoft pistol in a bag he was carrying. BPD officers responded to the weapons complaint at 8:45 a.m.

Pedigo said the school was put under lockdown as BPD officers responded.

The student was referred to juvenile probation for resisting law enforcement and possession of marijuana, Pedigo said.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.