"Swing in September" concert series begins Friday

<p>Then-juniors Sydney Johnson and Emery Hightower, then-sophomore Ollie Grcich and then-senior Sam Boland, co-president of Bloomington Delta Music Club, dance during the BDMC Presents concert April 15, 2021, in Dunn Meadow. The first &quot;Swing in September&quot; concert will take place Sept. 3, 2021, in Dunn Meadow.</p>

Then-juniors Sydney Johnson and Emery Hightower, then-sophomore Ollie Grcich and then-senior Sam Boland, co-president of Bloomington Delta Music Club, dance during the BDMC Presents concert April 15, 2021, in Dunn Meadow. The first "Swing in September" concert will take place Sept. 3, 2021, in Dunn Meadow.

Free jazz and swing music concerts will be performed at 6:30 p.m. every Friday in Dunn Meadow as part of the “Swing in September” concert series. The concerts are a partnership between WFIU radio and the IU Jacobs School of Music’s Jazz Studies Department.

The event is typically during the summer under the name “Jazz in July” but was temporarily moved to the fall season because of COVID-19 restrictions.

In case of inclement weather, concerts instead will be held in Merrill Hall’s performance space, Recital Hall, at 1201 E. Third Street.

WFIU hosts Mark Chilla, David Brent Johnson and William Morris will emcee. The event will feature a variety of artists ranging from full swing bands to jazz vocalists.

The Midcoast Swing Orchestra, IU alumni Brent Wallarab and Mark Buselli’s 10-piece group, will perform this Friday.

Organism, a hard bop and organ jazz quartet, will perform Sept. 10. Jazz vocalist Rachel Caswell will perform Sept. 17, and the IU Jazz Faculty Band will perform Sept. 24.

The “Swing in September” concerts will run until Sept. 24. Patrons can bring chairs and blankets to view the performances. Food is also permitted.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments