Live Updates: No. 17 IU football takes on No. 18 Iowa in season opener

spiufb090421.jpg

FINAL: No. 18 Iowa beats No. 17 IU, 34-6.

6:31: Iowa fumbles the ball at the end of a 22-yard rush. IU's Josh Sanguinetti recovers the ball for the Hoosiers' second fumble recovery of the day.

8:50: IU goes three and out for the third consecutive drive, taking only a minute off the clock. James Evans' punt travels 58 yards and is return for 18 yards to Iowa's 31.

FIELD GOAL: Iowa takes six minutes off the clock in the first drive of the fourth quarter before adding three points to its total. Iowa 34, IU 6.

FOURTH QUARTER

:32: Petras completes a pass for 10 yards, followed by a seven yard rush from Goodson to end the quarter. The Iowa drive will resume in the fourth quarter at IU's 40-yard line.

Another throw from Penix is nearly picked off, but this one falls out of the hands of Iowa's defender. The Hoosiers have to punt once again.

7:01: Penix throws another interception, but the play is called back for roughing the passer.

FIELD GOAL: Campbell makes his second field goal of the game, this one from 41 yards. IU's drive stalled after picking up two first downs.

9:15: Penix is sacked on third-and-eight in the red zone.

Penix connects with Fryfogle for 33 yards on a fourth down, extending IU's drive.

15:00: IU receives the kick to start the second half. The Hoosiers start with the ball at the their own 25-yard line after a touchback.

THIRD QUARTER

FIELD GOAL: After IU's Ryder Anderson sacks Petras, Iowa settles for a field goal at the end of the half. Iowa adds on to its lead after its second interception in three plays. Iowa 31, IU 3.

1:12: Two plays later, Penix is picked off again. That's his third interception of the day and he's 8-20 in passing.

TOUCHDOWN: Iowa gets its second pick-six of the day. Penix underthrows the ball to Buckley and Iowa's Riley Moss returns it 55-yards for a touchdown. Iowa 28, IU 3.

1:50: IU's Cam Jones forces a fumble in the middle of the field and IU recovers to get the ball back. It's the first turnover for IU today.

6:30: Iowa and IU have traded 20-yard drives that ended in punts. The Hoosiers have the ball at the 20-yard line to start their next drive.

TOUCHDOWN: Spencer Petras takes it into the end zone himself on a nine-yard run. Iowa 21, IU 3.

SECOND QUARTER

Another false start from Caleb Jones and two short run plays lead to a four-and-out from IU. Iowa starts with the ball at IU's 48. Iowa runs one play, a 16-yard completion, before the end of the quarter.

2:06: IU forces a punt after Iowa runs five plays. The Hoosiers start with possession at the 15-yard line.

FIELD GOAL: After an incomplete attempt to Camron Buckley, Charles Campbell makes a 36-yard field goal attempt to get IU on the board. The Hoosiers took 3:44 off the clock on the 49-yard drive. Iowa 14, IU 3.

Penix completes a pass to Ty Fryfogle for 32 yards to refresh the downs for IU.

10:00: IU's drive was set back after a false start on Caleb Jones. The Hoosiers punted back to the Hawkeyes, who take over at the 17-yard line.

12:45: IU looks to reset after two quick scores. The Hoosiers will start with the ball at 25-yard line after a touchback.

TOUCHDOWN: Junior quarterback Michael Penix's throw to wide receiver D.J. Matthews bounces into the hands of the Iowa defense, who returns it 30 yards for a pick-six. Iowa 14, IU 0.

TOUCHDOWN: Iowa junior running back Tyler Goodson runs for 56 yards on the outside for the score. The drive took 1:19. Iowa 7, IU 0.

14:54: Iowa returns the opening kick off to the 33-yard line, a 33-yard return. Junior cornerback Tiawan Mullen made the tackle.

FIRST QUARTER

Kickoff: Iowa wins the coin toss and elects to receive. Iowa will receive the kickoff to begin the game.