Instant recap: Indiana football defeats University of Idaho 56-14

spiufbinstant091121.jpeg

In its first home game in front of a full capacity crowd since November 2019, Indiana football defeated the University of Idaho 56-14. The Hoosiers are now 1-1 this season.

After failing to score a touchdown last week against Iowa, Indiana scored three in the first quarter Saturday night, including a punt block recovered for a touchdown by sophomore wide receiver Javon Swinton. Swinton also had a touchdown catch in the first quarter.

Indiana had two special teams touchdowns on the night, the blocked punt recovered by Swinton and an 80-yard punt return touchdown by graduate wide receiver D.J. Matthews Jr.

Redshirt junior quarterback Michael Penix Jr. completed 11 of 16 passes for 68 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions on the night. Penix was replaced by redshirt junior quarterback Jack Tuttle in the third quarter.

Next week, Indiana will host No. 7 ranked University of Cincinnati at noon Saturday in Bloomington.

Instant recap by Patrick Felts

Fourth Quarter

FINAL: Indiana defeats Idaho, 56-14

TOUCHDOWN: Junior running back Davion Ervin-Poindexter takes it into the endzone on a 4 yard rush.

TOUCHDOWN: Junior quarterback Jack Tuttle finds sophomore tight end A.J. Barner, who takes it 76 yards into the endzone. Indiana 49, Idaho 14.

13:32: three rushes for 4 yards from

Third Quarter

TOUCHDOWN: Beaudry finds Hatten for another TD. Indiana 42, Idaho 14.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix takes it in on a QB sneak to open up scoring in the second half. Indiana 42, Idaho 7.

KICKOFF: Junior wide receiver Jacolby Hewitt takes the kickoff 72 yards.

Second Quarter

TOUCHDOWN: Beaudry finds sophomore wide receiver Hayden Hatten in the endzone for the Vandals first points of the day. Indiana 35, Idaho 7.

1:07: Idaho earns it's second first down of the half with a 12 yard Beaudry completion to junior wide receiver Cutrell Haywood, who is brought down by Indiana junior defensive back Tiawan Mullen.

1:19: Beaudry takes the ball himself for a 20 yard rush.

TOUCHDOWN: After a fruitless Idaho possession, Matthews takes the punt return 81 yards for a touchdown. Indiana 35, Idaho 0.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix hits senior receiver Ty Fryfogle with a low pass in the endzone. Indiana 28, Idaho 0.

5:32: Sophomore running back Rim Baldwin Jr. takes the ball up the middle for a gain of 1 yard and a first down.

7:52: Carr breaks free for a 26 yard run.

9:01: Carr picks up a first down with a 7 yard rush.

SACK: Penix sacked on back to back plays by Idaho freshman defensive lineman Nate McGraw and senior defensive lineman Charles Akanno. Indiana punts.

First Quarter

TOUCHDOWN: Swinton takes a blocked Idaho punt directly into the endzone. Indiana 21, Idaho 0.

TOUCHDOWN: Penix, facing pressure, finds sophomore wide receiver Javon Swinton in the endzone. Indiana 14, Idaho 0.

FUMBLE: Senior linebacker Micah McFadden sacks Idaho graduate student quarterback Mike Beaudry who lost the football, which was recovered by Indiana graduate student defensive lineman Weston Kramer. Indiana get's the ball at Idaho's 13 yard line.

TOUCHDOWN: Carr runs right up the middle for six points to open up scoring in this game. Drive took 06:08 off the clock. Indiana 7, Idaho 0

6:42: Carr picks up the first right up the middle on fourth down.

6:49: Junior running back David Ellis with a carry that doesn't hold up to review for a first down. Indiana will go for it.

10:38: Junior quarterback Michael Penix Jr. finds graduate student wide receiver D.J. Matthews for ten yards and a first down on third down.

11:18: Carr does it again, another Indiana first down courtesy of its running back.

13:05: Indiana graduate student running back Stephen Carr springs free for a 17-yard run and a first down.

13:48: Senior defensive back Raheem Layne's tackle ends Iowa's first drive on third down. The Vandals elect to punt.

KICKOFF: Idaho wins the coin toss and elects to receive. Idaho will receive the kickoff to begin the game.

Live updates by Luke Christopher Norton