IU football announces retro uniforms against Cincinnati, sellout crowd

spiufbthrowback090321.jpg

No. 17 ranked IU football will wear retro inspired uniforms for its Sept. 18 home matchup with No. 8 ranked University of Cincinnati. The uniforms are inspired by former IU head coach Bill Mallory's teams from the 1980s and 1990s, according to an IU Athletics press release Thursday night.

Retro elements include the Block "I" on the helmet, which includes a white and black helmet stripe and black facemask. The jersey includes "Hoosiers" across the chest and a faux mesh pattern on the numbers and letters, and the pants feature a red and black stripe on the sides.

Fans can purchase the retro uniforms starting Sept. 6 through Fanatics, Adidas and the IU Bookstore.

spiufbthrowback090321_1.jpg
IU football's throwback uniforms for its Sept. 18 game against the University of Cincinnati feature elements from former head coach Bill Mallory's teams from the 1980s and 1990s. IU Athletics

Single game tickets are sold out for the game, which is likely to be a top 25 matchup.

Tickets are still available for remaining home football contests, including the Oct. 23 game against No. 4 ranked Ohio State. Due to the possibility of additional sellout crowds and limited remaining availability, IU Athletics is encouraging fans to purchase football tickets in advance at IUHoosiers.com.

IU Athletics also encourages fans to arrive early to games and plan ahead for traffic delays from the North due to construction along Interstate 69 between Indianapolis and Martinsville, Indiana.