Indiana attorney general signs letter asking Biden to reverse vaccine mandate

<p>Then-Indiana attorney general candidate Todd Rokita speaks with the press after hearing Vice President Mike Pence speak at the Wylam Center of Flagship East April 19, 2018, in Anderson, Indiana. Rokita joined 23 other state attorney generals to release a letter calling on President Joe Biden to reverse his recent vaccine mandate.</p>

Then-Indiana attorney general candidate Todd Rokita speaks with the press after hearing Vice President Mike Pence speak at the Wylam Center of Flagship East April 19, 2018, in Anderson, Indiana. Rokita joined 23 other state attorney generals to release a letter calling on President Joe Biden to reverse his recent vaccine mandate.

Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita joins 23 other state attorney generals to release a letter calling on President Joe Biden to reverse his recent vaccine mandate.

The mandate would require government workers and private contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. Private employers with more than 100 employees have to have their employees either be vaccinated or participate in a weekly COVID-19 test. Refusal would result in an employee’s termination.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb has also recently criticized the mandate last Friday for requiring the vaccine, tests or termination.

The attorney generals’ letter criticized Biden’s mandate, saying it will cause people to be skeptical of the vaccine and further push them from wanting to get it.

The letter said the mandate will do more harm than good for Americans, such as taking some citizens out of the job market because they refuse to comply.

“Your plan is disastrous and counterproductive,” the letter said. “From a policy perspective, this edict is unlikely to win hearts and minds — it will simply drive further skepticism.”

The attorney generals said the mandate is illegal and flawed because of how Biden is proceeding with it. They said there are less intrusive ways to achieve Biden’s goals, and the use of the Occupational Safety and Health Act to issue the mandate is unnecessary.

If Biden does not reverse his plan, the letter said the attorney generals will pursue all legal avenues to stop the mandate.

“We thus urge you to reconsider your unlawful and harmful plan and allow people to make their own decisions,” the letter said.

Stay on top of the COVID-19 and vaccination news. This weekly newsletter will package our coverage of cornavirus news, updates and the critical information you need to know.

Comments