Bloomington residents should avoid draining treated pool water

<p>Bryan Park Pool is empty June 8, 2020, in Bloomington. The City of Bloomington is advising residents to properly remove water from their swimming pools, spas and other water features as summer comes to an end, and avoid draining directly into storm drains.</p>

Bryan Park Pool is empty June 8, 2020, in Bloomington. The City of Bloomington is advising residents to properly remove water from their swimming pools, spas and other water features as summer comes to an end, and avoid draining directly into storm drains.

Bloomington Utilities advises residents against draining treated water that may harm waterways and wildlife or plants, pets and other humans into the city’s storm drains.

Treated water may contain chlorine, bromine or salt and is a danger to ecosystems, according to a City of Bloomington press release. Treated water includes that found in swimming pools, spas and other water features.

It is against the law to drain chlorinated pool water into the City of Bloomington storm drains. All the chemicals used in pool and spa maintenance must be neutralized before being drained.

To avoid causing damage to the environment from draining treated water, the CBU said residents should follow certain steps including removing excess debris from the water and draining pool water over a well-vegetated area on personal property, to allow it to aerate.

To allow chlorine or bromine to dissipate, residents should allow pool water to stand untreated for at least seven days. The pH of the pool water should also be tested before draining. A pH level between 6.5 and 8.5 is ideal, according to the press release.

Residents need to avoid draining pool water directly into a storm drain, into a stream or over neighboring properties.

The CBU advises residents to visit their website for more information on water properties or draining procedures.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments