Aine Donegan ties for 11th, Indiana places 14th at the Wolverine Invitational

spiuwgrecap091421.jpg

Indiana completed its first fall event since 2019 at the Wolverine Invitational. Freshman Aine Donegan led the way, tying for 11th as the team placed 14th in the 16-team event.

The Hoosiers finished with a team score of 915, 63-over par. They scored 299 then 305 to total 604 through 36 holes on Monday, capped off with a 311 on Tuesday.

“It wasn’t quite the start we were hoping for and we were playing against a good regional level on a difficult course,” Wallman said. “It was still a positive start with some issues to address.”

Donegan shot a 4-over 217 in her collegiate debut. A score of 144 had her tied for 12th through day one, and a 73 moved her up one place on Tuesday. Her placement is the highest for a Hoosier in a double digit-team field since Anni Eisenhut finished sixth at the Lady Puerto Rico Classic in 2019. 

Donegan’s performance impressed Wallman, who says the freshman is just getting started. 

“She’s a great ball striker and a really strong player, and if a couple more putts had gone down it would’ve been a really great finish,” Wallman said. “People are going to hear a lot about her in her career.”

Junior Valerie Clancy scored a 17-over 230 to finish second on the team and tied for 58th overall. Behind her was senior Mary Parsons with a 20-over 233, tying for 65th overall.

Junior Hanna Tanaka and Freshman Maggie Fernandez both scored a 26-over 239, tying for 79th overall. The team score of 915 was one stroke behind the University of Notre Dame at 13th and three strokes behind Xavier University at 12th. Michigan won the event with a score of 851.

Wallman said the team drove the ball well and hit their irons well enough to put it into scoring positions, but they didn’t always take advantage. Wallman said it’s something they need to capitalize on throughout the season.

Wallman said the team’s mindset is focused on gaining more experience and improving over the season.

“There are a lot of things to improve upon and polish up, and we have a young team,” Wallman said. “More opportunities to play will be helpful down the stretch and the team has a great growth mindset, they’re committed to improving.”

Next up for Indiana is the Badger Invitational, which will take place Sept. 19-21 at the University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin.