Monroe County Board of Commissioners approves new mask requirement Wednesday

<p>Then-freshmen Carter Tran and Allison walking Aug. 24, 2020 near Showalter Fountain. The Monroe County Board of Commissioners voted Wednesday to approve a new health order requiring masks to be worn in indoor public places regardless of vaccination status, effective 8 a.m. Thursday.</p>

Then-freshmen Carter Tran and Allison walking Aug. 24, 2020 near Showalter Fountain. The Monroe County Board of Commissioners voted Wednesday to approve a new health order requiring masks to be worn in indoor public places regardless of vaccination status, effective 8 a.m. Thursday.

The Monroe County Board of Commissioners approved a new health order from the Monroe County Health Department in a unanimous vote during the board’s meeting Wednesday. The health order requires masks to be worn in indoor public places regardless of vaccination status, effective at 8 a.m. tomorrow.

“Everyone, regardless of vaccination status, should wear a mask indoors when in public settings,” Penny Caudill, administrator of the Monroe County Health Department, said during the meeting.

Masks are available through the Monroe County Emergency Management office, Allison Moore, the office’s director, said. Those interested in masks can contact the office, Moore said.

Caudill said vaccines are effective in preventing transmission of COVID-19, which could lead to the development of new variants.

“With vaccination we limit transmission and with increased transmission we have more variants,” Caudill said.

Caudill said vaccines are effective against current COVID-19 variants, which may not be the case with future variants. Monroe County’s fully vaccinated rate currently stands at 56.9%, Caudill said.

The order will expire September 30th or when Monroe County returns to blue status on the state’s COVID-19 map, Caudill said.

Anyone at or over the age of 12 is able to schedule a vaccination appointment. Appointments can be scheduled at ourshot.in.gov

Following the decision, IU announced that masks will be required indoors on all campuses for all students, faculty, staff and visitors, effective tomorrow.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments