sports women's basketball women's soccer

IU Athletics launches Women’s Excellence initiative

spiuwomensexcellence081821.jpg

IU Athletics unveiled its newest fundraising initiative named Women’s Excellence early Wednesday afternoon and is designed to support IU’s female student-athletes. 

All funds are going toward various development opportunities for athletes across IU’s 13 varsity women’s sports. The main goal of the program is to provide the student-athletes with tools they can use after their Hoosier career has ended, according to the press release.

Opportunities include improving facilities and equipment, foreign training trips, guest speakers and chances for personal development on and off the playing field. Chances to grow leadership skills and to get engaged with the community will also come through the IU Excellence Academy, which helps all IU athletes with their personal development, according to an IU Athletics press release.

Mattie White, IU Athletics deputy director and senior woman administrator, will help bring services from the IU Excellence Academy specifically to Women’s Excellence. The IU Excellence Academy provides male and female student-athletes with rehab centers, career counseling, nutrition facilities and much more; Women’s Excellence will tailor some of these programs specifically for female student-athletes.

Women’s Excellence launched during a year where several current and former female Hoosiers, such as Gabi Rennie and Lilly King, succeeded nationally in sports. The Women’s Excellence Initiative wants to continue those successes and make them even greater, according to the press release.

Women's Excellence has its own website through IU Athletics, providing interested donors and fans with more information on how to get involved with the initiative.