Monroe County Fair to open Monday

entcountyfair062721-jpg

A dinosaur meet and greet, demolition derby, pigeon show and baby contest will all be featured at the Monroe County Fair from June 28 through July 4 at the Monroe County Fairgrounds. 

Each day will include a variety of contests, entertainment and livestock auctions, as well as food and arts vendors. 

According to the Monroe County Fairgrounds website, ages 5 and under get free admission into the fair, ages 6-12 are $2 per person for a daily pass and $5 for a weekly pass and ages 13 and up are $3 per person for a daily pass and $10 for a weekly pass. 

“This year our admissions charge has changed,” Monroe County Fair Executive Board Secretary Tonya Clark said. “Parking is free this year but it is paid admission per person so that’s different from years past.”

Starting Tuesday, Luehrs’ Ideal Rides will provide carnival rides. Tickets and opening times for the carnival rides will differ depending on the day and fairgoers will have the option to buy individual tickets or unlimited armbands, according to the Monroe County Fairgrounds website.

The fair website also states they are taking precautions to follow Bloomington Health Department protocol and ensure COVID safety on the grounds. 

“We’re hoping for a big crowd and I know people will be more cautious,” Clark said. “We’ve put out extra sanitization stations and we have a cleaning crew coming at night to do extra sanitation of the buildings.”

Throughout the week, bands including the Grace Scott Band, Mike Norris, Clint Zimmerman, Moonshine Mary and Kent Todd & Friends will play on the Free Stage. The Farm Bureau Music Stage will feature artists Cook & Belle, Cody Ikerd & The Sidewinders, Corey Cox, Derik Weidner and Twang Factor, according to the fair’s website.

According to the fair’s website, free events such as laser tag, the Dino Meet & Greet, and Bear Hollow wood carving will take place on the North and South Lawn throughout the week. 

Those interested in vehicular sports can attend Go Kart, 4Wheeler and Dirt Bike Flat Track Racing on Monday, Motocross Bikes & ATV 4-Wheeler Races on Tuesday and Mini Sprints and Motocross Pit Bikes on Thursday. The Demolition Derby will take place on Saturday. All of these events take place at the Grandstand, with a $10 admission fee for adults and a $5 admission for kids 12 and under, according to the website. 

There are also livestock events, including the Three Bar J-IPRA Rodeo taking place at the Grandstand on Friday at 7 p.m. Throughout the week there will be 4-H animal shows taking place every day with events such as the Rabbit Show on Saturday and Sunday, Dairy Show on Tuesday and Dog Agility Show on Friday.

“All of the livestock shows except for the small animals will be in the Show Arena,” Clark said. “Smaller animals are in the barn and the animal auction will be on the free stage.” 

The Monroe County Fair, an institution since 1855, gives people the opportunity to experience unique entertainment, thrilling rides, adorable animals and a range of craftsmanship, farming, baking and many other trades Monroe County has to offer. 

“People should go to their local fair and see all the hard work members have put in for the past six months,” 2021 Monroe Fair Queen Karis Klein said.