City of Bloomington and Eskenazi Museum of Art to host Juneteenth celebrations

canewsfiller061521-jpg

The Sidney and Lois Eskenazi Museum of Art and the City of Bloomington are hosting events Saturday for Juneteenth. 

Juneteenth is a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. Celebrations for Juneteenth include music, barbeques, prayer services and other activities, according to HISTORY

The art museum is hosting the virtual event Juneteenth: Pairing Art with Food and Poetry. According to their website, the event is a part of a continuing series, “Pairing Art and Food.”

“Food is a very important aspect of Juneteenth, so it makes sense to include it in our series,” Laura Scheper, the museum’s Public Experiences Manager, said. 

Co-host Kayleigh Dance and Poets L. Renée and Just Duléa will discuss a piece of art they’ve chosen and reveal a poem that goes along with it for the event, Scheper said.

The event is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and is open to everyone. Participants can register on the museum’s website to get the Zoom link. 

The City of Bloomington is hosting an event for Juneteenth in Switchyard Park from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Activities will take place at the shelter, the great lawn and the spray pad. 

Participants are encouraged to bring chairs and blankets. The celebration will have free food, activities, and Black-owned businesses on-site, according to their website.