Bloomington Fire Department to relocate to old law offices after flooding at Station One

The City of Bloomington Fire Department sits with its doors open on August 28, 2020 on E 4th St. The BFD downtown station will be temporarily relocating to 226 South College Avenue after flood waters damaged Station One this past weekend.

The Bloomington Fire Department command staff formerly located at Station One on 300 E. Fourth St. will temporarily relocate to the former law offices at 226 S. College Ave after flooding last weekend forced the downtown fire station to close, according to a release from the City of Bloomington. 

The property on College Avenue was acquired by the city through its Redevelopment Commission in 2019 to prepare for a potential Convention Center expansion project. Command staff from BPD began moving items into the property today and will operate out of that space after information technology systems are coordinated.

Following minor remodeling, including the installation of additional showers, kitchen furnishings and vehicle bays, it is hoped that the firefighters from Station One will be able to function out of the building as well.

“Downtown is the heart of our city, and we’ll continue to explore, evaluate options and work to identify the most prudent path to reuniting command staff, firefighters and the equipment they use to serve this community so well,” Mayor John Hamilton said in the release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments