Jerome Hunter not to return to IU basketball for 2021-22 season

spiubbhunter051321.jpg

IU men’s basketball announced on Thursday that redshirt junior forward Jerome Hunter will not return to the program for the 2021-22 season. The press release did not state a reason for why Hunter won’t be returning to the team.

“We appreciate everything that Jerome has done as a member of the program and wish him nothing but the best in the future,” said Mike Woodson in the release.

Last season, Hunter averaged 6.3 points and three rebounds per game while shooting 34.2% from behind the 3-point line, the fourth best on the team.

Hunter, the No. 46 ranked recruit in the country by 247sports in 2018, arrived as the Hoosiers’ second-highest ranked recruit in the class, only behind Romeo Langford. However, the Pickerington High School North product would miss the entirety of the 2018-19 season after having surgery on an undisclosed leg condition which kept him from participating in basketball activities for nearly a year. 

Over his two years playing at IU, Hunter averaged 4.9 points and 2.5 rebounds per game, while shooting 32.4% from beyond the arc. Hunter has three years of eligibility remaining if he decides to transfer to another program after the NCAA’s COVID-19 waiver granted all athletes an extra year of eligibility.

IU now has one scholarship spot remaining for the 2021-22 season.