sports little 500

IU announces virtual Little 500 race, time trial open to public

splittlefive050521.jpeg

With the Little 500 race returning for the first time since 2019, there will be a new option for race fans this May. IU announced Wednesday the first ever virtual Little 500 race, which features a 20-lap time trial at 10 a.m. May 22 and virtual men’s and women’s races May 23.

The event features a virtual 45-mile road race through Bloomington and the Morgan-Monroe State Forest. Registration is open to the public through 5 p.m. on May 20.

"We're excited to bring the tradition of Little 500 to a wider audience with this new virtual option," Andrea Balzano, director of the IU Student Foundation, said in a statement. "If you've ever wondered what it's like to ride around Bloomington, now you can. It's also a great option for our alumni to relive their Little 500 experience."

Each participant will have an avatar that appears on-screen and moves in accordance with the participant’s real-life motions. The experience will be put together by work from Echelon Racing Promotions and students at The Media School at IU, according to the release.

Participants are required to have a bike; a smart trainer, Bluetooth-enabled power meter or Bluetooth-enabled speed and cadence sensor; a mobile device and a tablet or computer, according to the release.