bloomington

Bloomington to receive $300,000 EPA grant

caepa051321.jpg

The United States Environmental Protection Agency announced the City of Bloomington will receive a $300,000 grant Thursday as part of an initiative to assess and clean up abandoned industrial complexes. 

The city will use the grant to investigate the environmental condition of properties in the College Avenue and Walnut Street area, according to an EPA press release.

Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton said in the release the funds will help continue to revitalize downtown. A previous EPA Brownfields Grant helped to convert an unused railroad yard into the 57-acre Switchyard Park, he said.

“Given our city's industrial history, we have identified over 25 vacant or underutilized commercial and/or industrial brownfields properties located in low-income residential and/or mixed-use areas as target properties for this grant," Hamilton said.

In the past, Bloomington has received three grants for $800,000, according to the release.

Bloomington is one of three Indiana cities, also including Union City and the Town of Clarksville, to receive a grant as part of the Brownfields Assessment and Cleanup Funding, which totals to $1.4 million, according to the release. 

“These cities are taking proactive steps to improve the environment and economic opportunity in their communities,” EPA Deputy Administrator Janet McCabe said in the release. “The agency’s grants are helping the Biden Administration deliver on its commitment to lifting up and protecting all communities.”