IU men’s golf finishes in fifth place at Boilermaker Invitational

<p>Freshman Clay Merchant looks toward the green after hitting the ball during the Hoosier Collegiate Invitational on April 4, 2021, at the Pfau Course. The Hoosiers finished fifth Sunday in West Lafayette, Indiana, at the Boilermaker Invitational. </p>

Freshman Clay Merchant looks toward the green after hitting the ball during the Hoosier Collegiate Invitational on April 4, 2021, at the Pfau Course. The Hoosiers finished fifth Sunday in West Lafayette, Indiana, at the Boilermaker Invitational.

IU men’s golf finished in fifth place at the Boilermaker Invitational on Sunday, and graduate student Brock Ochsenreiter won the Boilermaker Individual.

Rounds one and two were played Saturday, and the third round took place Sunday. The latter portion of round two was postponed to Sunday for some teams due to darkness on the course, though IU had finished play prior to the postponement. 

The Hoosiers took the lead in round one on Saturday with a score of 280. The team was led by junior Mitch Davis and freshman Drew Salyers, who both shot a 3-under-par 69.

Round two also ended with IU in the lead after the team scored a 286. Freshman Clay Merchent led the team, shooting a 5-under-par 67 to help maintain the Hoosiers’ lead.

Merchent’s performance in round two tied with Kent State junior Jared Wilson’s score in the third round for the best individual round of the invitational. 

The team fell to fifth place in round three, scoring 294. IU was led in the third round by junior Harry Reynolds, who shot a 72. 

“It was a mediocre round of golf for us,” head coach Mike Mayer said after the competition. “In this league against the teams we’re playing against you can’t have mediocrity.”

The team also sent five individuals to compete in the Boilermaker Individual, in which Ochsenreiter earned the victory with a score of 209. Ochsenreiter shot a 69, 68 and a 72 in the three rounds, respectively. 

“He beat some nice players, and obviously Brock is a young man that has a lot of talent,” Mayer said.

IU will return to competition at the Kepler Intercollegiate played on April 24-25 at the Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments