IDS Connect

Junior Colin Kulpa named fall 2021 editor-in-chief

The junior has worked at the Indiana Daily Student for the past six semesters.

Junior Colin Kulpa will serve as the editor-in-chief at the IDS this fall.

The IU Student Media Publications Board named Colin Kulpa the fall 2021 editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student Friday, March 26.

The junior from Knox, Indiana, has worked for the IDS for the past six semesters. Kulpa has served as a photojournalist, general assignments editor, photo editor and, most recently, managing editor.

As the IDS staff has the potential to return to an in-person work environment this fall, Kulpa said he wants to focus on training and workshops that will help the newsroom relearn and sharpen their skills in their given fields.

“As things start to look normal again, we need to not just be ready to pick up where we left off but return to Franklin Hall in a better place than we left it last March,” Kulpa wrote in his application.

To further accomplish this, Kulpa said he would prioritize storytelling of underrepresented voices in the Bloomington and IU community during his tenure. He is also looking to strengthen the visual journalism strategy of the IDS, reassess the full potential of special publications and facilitate strong communication with the new IU administration to devise a financial solution for the IDS.

The IU Student Media Publications Board is made up of professional journalists, professors, the dean of the Media School and current IDS staff members. The board conducted an interview Friday with each editor-in-chief candidate via a Zoom conference call.