Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market reopens for 2021 season with new market coordinator

<p>People walk through the aisles of vendors at the Bloomington Community Farmers&#x27; Market in 2018. The market opened for the 2021 season last Saturday.</p>

People walk through the aisles of vendors at the Bloomington Community Farmers' Market in 2018. The market opened for the 2021 season last Saturday.

The Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market opened for the 2021 season Saturday, according to the market’s Facebook page. The market also announced the hiring of its new market coordinator, Clarence Boone, on the page Wednesday.

Boone’s placement comes after former market coordinator Marcia Veldman resigned in July 2020 following controversy at the market in 2019. Veldman was criticized by members of the community for not taking action to remove a vendor with ties to a white supremacy group.

“We are excited to have Clarence on board as the Farmers' Market Coordinator,” an email statement from the market read. “Clarence brings passion and a significant amount of experience related to the engagement of diverse communities and uniting those around a common theme.” 

The statement said Boone believes the market improves the city economy and residents’ health and well-being.

Before taking the market coordinator position in the City of Bloomington Parks & Recreation department, Boone worked in university and alumni relations, according to an article from WBIW radio.

According to the City of Bloomington website, all shoppers and vendors must wear face coverings at the market. No one is permitted to eat or drink at the market, and shoppers must enter and exit through the same place so staff can count and limit the amount of people in the market at once.

Related: [LETTER: A lot is at stake if the Bloomington Community Farmers' Market closes]

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments