sports women's soccer

Ohio State defeats IU women’s soccer 2-0 in Columbus

spiuwsrecap032521.jpg

In a crucial game in the Big Ten women’s soccer standings race, IU women’s soccer lost 2-0 to Ohio State at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

Entering Thursday, the two teams were tied in the Big Ten standings with 12 points each. Prior to the match, eight teams were within 3 points of each other, between 11 and 14 points.

While the teams seemed evenly matched entering the game, it was the Buckeyes who made a statement early. Freshman midfielder Peyton McNamara scored a ninth-minute goal off of a Hoosier turnover deep in their own side of the field, weaving through defenders and putting the ball in the top of the goal.

“It was a good ball in, and they capitalized on it, that’s part of the game,” head coach Erwin van Bennekom said. “Tough way to start, but nothing was lost at that point.”

IU had plenty of time to equalize McNamara’s early goal but failed to convert. The Buckeyes were dominant in the shots on goal margins, outshooting the Hoosiers 9-2. IU took 12 total shots to Ohio State’s 14, but the lack of quality attempts cost the team in the end.

“I think we were close. We had some good shots from distance and a couple second balls that didn’t fall our way,” van Bennekom said. “But it wasn’t good enough.”

Sophomore forward Emma Sears scored Ohio State’s second goal of the match in the 78th minute, which, just like McNamara’s, was set up by an IU turnover. 

With the loss, the Hoosiers fall to 4-4 on the season and fail to get points in a tight standings race late in the season. IU is now ninth in the Big Ten with three games left to play.

The Hoosiers will stay on the road for their next contest, facing the Michigan Wolverines Sunday at U-M Soccer Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The teams tied 0-0 in their last matchup September 29, 2019, in Ann Arbor. 

The Wolverines are 5-2-2 on the season, putting them third in the Big Ten standings with 17 points.

“Another top opponent, probably one of the top four or five teams in the league, maybe even higher,” van Bennekom said. “But every game is tough, and we’re gonna go for it, prepare ourselves, try to get ready in the next few days and prepare for Michigan.”