IU women’s basketball makes NCAA Tournament as No. 4 seed

<p>Junior guard Grace Berger drives to the basket Jan. 28 in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU women&#x27;s basketbal earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament on Monday as a No. 4 seed, the highest seed in program history.</p>

Junior guard Grace Berger drives to the basket Jan. 28 in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU women's basketbal earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament on Monday as a No. 4 seed, the highest seed in program history.

IU women’s basketball has made it into the NCAA Tournament as a No. 4 seed, the highest in program history. The Hoosiers’ previous seeding record came in their inaugural tournament appearance in 1983 as a No. 6 seed. 

IU was a No. 10 seed for the 2019 tournament, during which they lost in the second round to Sabrina Ionescu and No. 2-seed Oregon. 

This year, IU will compete in the Mercado region where it will first face No. 13-seed Virginia Commonwealth University at 2 p.m. Monday on ESPNU. The teams last met in December 2004 when the Hoosiers took a 63-41 win. IU and VCU have only met one other time in 2003. The Hoosiers lead the matchup series 2-0. 

The Mercado region provides many new potential opponents for IU, as the only familiar faces are Big Ten opponents Michigan State and Rutgers. IU, however, never played Rutgers this season due to COVID-19 problems in the Scarlet Knights’ program.  

North Carolina State University takes the No.1 seed for the region followed by No. 2-seed Texas A&M University and No. 3-seed University of Arizona. Gonzaga University falls right behind IU as the region’s No. 5 seed.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.