IU men’s basketball player Race Thompson enters transfer portal

<p>Redshirt junior forward Race Thompson dribbles around a Rutgers player Jan. 24 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Thompson is the fourth IU basketball player to enter the transfer portal recently. </p>

Redshirt junior forward Race Thompson dribbles around a Rutgers player Jan. 24 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Thompson is the fourth IU basketball player to enter the transfer portal recently.

Redshirt junior forward Race Thompson entered the transfer portal Wednesday — the third men’s basketball player to do so in the past two days. 

Graduate transfer Parker Stewart entered the transfer portal Wednesday morning, and sophomore Armaan Franklin put his name in on Tuesday. Senior Al Durham also entered the transfer portal Mar. 16.

Related: [IU men’s basketball’s Al Durham enters transfer portal]

Thompson started all 27 games last season for IU, averaging 9.1 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. Thompson was one of the Hoosiers’ best interior defenders this season and was an additional scoring threat in the paint playing alongside first-team All-Big Ten selection sophomore Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Related: [IU men’s basketball’s Parker Stewart enters transfer portal]

Thompson was the first player to commit to then-head coach Archie Miller who hadn’t previously committed to IU before his hiring in 2017.

Related: [IU men’s basketball sophomore standout Armaan Franklin enters transfer portal]

Thompson redshirted his first season in Bloomington and then battled injuries in his second year with the team, limiting his production and development. After slowly gaining more playing time, Thompson became a mainstay in the Hoosiers’ rotation in 2020 before cementing himself as a starter this season. Only Jackson-Davis and Durham played a greater percentage of the team’s minutes in the 2020-21 season.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments