IU accepting applications for volunteers, paid positions at upcoming vaccine clinic

cavaccinejobs030921.jpg

IU is seeking workers and volunteers for COVID-19 vaccine clinics near the Bloomington and Indianapolis campuses, according to a Feb. 23 press release. Those interested are encouraged to fill out an online form detailing relevant medical skills or other experience. IU is encouraging current healthcare workers to take part-time work at the vaccine sites. 

Volunteers and paid part-time workers at the clinics will receive training, according to the press release.  Information from the online forms will be reported to COVID-19 coordinators, who will maintain a master list of those available to assist with vaccination clinics and contact them as positions open. Not everyone who signs up will be selected, but there are various roles available, including medical director, vaccinators and monitors for patients after they receive their shot. Non-medical roles include site management, data entry of dosage information, sanitation and registration. 

The announcement comes as vaccine clinics continue to develop across the state. Saturday, Monroe County Health Department Administrator Penny Caudill announced IU’s Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall will begin administering vaccines March 29, joining the Monroe Convention Center as one of Monroe County’s vaccination sites. In January, a Floyd County Health Department clinic on IU Southeast’s campus also began administering the vaccine. The Monroe Convention Center will remain open through March for first doses, and those who already received their first dose may return there to get their second. Assembly Hall will take its place as the site for first doses by the end of April, Caudill said at the press conference.

The IU-Bloomington Covid-19 Response Unit Lead Kirk White said during the press conference on March 5 that the Assembly Hall site will remain open indefinitely as vaccinations continue and capacity expands. He said IU expects to eventually have the capacity to vaccinate 2,000 people per day.