Former IU quarterback Antwaan Randle El joins Detroit Lions coaching staff

sprandleelbrief021721.jpg

Former All-American IU quarterback and NFL All-Pro wide receiver Antwaan Randle El was hired by the National Football League’s Detroit Lions as their wide receivers coach, the team announced Wednesday.

During the 2019 and 2020 seasons, Randle El served as an offensive assistant for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, winning Super Bowl LV with the team earlier this month. He also won Super Bowl XL as a player with the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

At IU, Randle El was a three-sport athlete, competing for the football, basketball and baseball teams. He was drafted by the Chicago Cubs out of high school, but opted to attend IU and pursue football instead.

During his time at IU under head coach Cam Cameron, Randle El set the NCAA freshman record for total yardage in his first game with 467 yards in a 45-30 win over Western Michigan University. 

He would go on to be named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 1998, an award that would later be named after him. By the end of his IU career, he would become the first player in NCAA history to pass for 40 touchdowns and rush for 40 touchdowns.

In the NFL, Randle El was a second round pick by the Steelers, and switched from quarterback to wide receiver. He caught 370 passes for 4,467 yards during his NFL career with the Steelers and Washington Football Team. He famously threw a 43-yard touchdown pass to fellow Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward in Super Bowl XL.