sports golf

IU men’s golf announces shortened spring 2021 schedule

spiumgsched012721.jpg

IU men’s golf released its schedule Tuesday. The Hoosiers will compete in seven regular season events prior to the Big Ten Championship, NCAA Regionals and Finals.

The Hoosiers’ season opener will be the annual Big Ten Match Play event at the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach Golf Course in Hammock Beach, Florida, from Feb. 5-6.

IU’s next event will be the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate at the Crossings Course at RTJ Magnolia Grove in Mobile, Alabama, from Feb. 14-16.

The Hoosiers will then compete in the Spartan Collegiate at the Plantation Course at Sea Island Resort in Sea Island, Georgia, from March 8-9.

Related: [IU women’s golf announces shortened 2021 spring schedule]

The following weekend, the team will travel to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, for the General Hackler Championship at Dunes Golf & Beach Club from March 14-16.

spiumgschedule012721-graphic
Graphic by Abby Carmichael

The Hoosiers will return to Bloomington for the Hoosier Invitational at the Pfau Course from April 3-4. This will be the first official collegiate tournament held at the course after its opening in June 2020. 

"We are thrilled to be able to host the first collegiate golf tournament ever at the Pfau Course in early April as we continue to showcase our new course to the world," head coach Mike Mayer said. "Our administration has worked tirelessly to help make this a reality, and we can't thank them enough for all their efforts."

Related: [‘The opportunities here are limitless’: Pfau golf course to open June 15]

The team will then make the short trip to the Boilermaker Invitational at the Ackerman-Allen Course in West Lafayette, Indiana, from April 10-11.

IU’s final regular season event will be the Kepler Intercollegiate at the Scarlet course at the Ohio State University Golf Club in Columbus, Ohio, from April 24-25.

The Big Ten Championship will be held at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Indiana, from April 30-May 2.

NCAA Regionals will take place from May 17-20. The course and destination have not yet been determined.

NCAA Finals will be held at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, from May 29-June 3.

"We can't wait to start our spring 2021 tournament schedule," said Mayer. "It's been nearly a year since we've been able to compete and we have been diligently preparing for our return to collegiate golf. Our schedule includes strong competition against teams in the Big Ten and around the country at great venues, which will give us the opportunity to compete at the highest level."